Shields Street Closed For Sunday Activation
Performers from KL Performance Industry (from left) Jaimee Chill, Zoe Ball, 10, Emma Ball, 8, and Leah Carter with Ami Harris from Drum Infinity, ahead of this weekend’s Sunday on Shields event.
There will be some road closures to look out for in Cairns on Sunday.
The rhythmic theme of Martha and the Vandellas’ 1964 hit Dancing in the Street comes to Shields Street this Sunday with entertainment from KL Performance Industry, Cairns Latin Dance Club and Dance 2XS.
Add to that the thumping beats of Japanese Taiko drumming and the multicultural colour and spectacle from the Indonesian Association, and this weekend’s Sunday on Shields Dancing in the Street program promises to be an entertainment fiesta.
Shields Street will come to life from 11am to 8pm with a full program that also includes free face painters, jumping castle, Zumba in the City, market stalls and live music from atop Miss Nemo the Kombi.
Cairns Museum will be open this Sunday from 10am to 2pm (fees do apply).
Dancing in the Street entertainment includes:
· Drum Infinity Mugendai is a multi-cultural initiative that primarily focuses around Japanese Taiko drumming based in Cairns Queensland
· KL Performance Industry will entertain the audience with their amazing moves and costumes and provide interactive time for all children to enjoy
· The Samba dancers from the Cairns Latin Dance Club are looking forward to performing for you in their feathers and glitter
· Bring the little ones down to have fun dancing with Dance 2XS in their exciting READY, SET, DANCE class
· For a multi-cultural treat, the Indonesian Association is coming with a dazzling array of traditional dresses and traditional dance
Those heading into the CBD are reminded there is free parking is available on-street and at the Lake Street multi-storey carpark on Sundays.
Sunday on Shields
10am to 2pm: Cairns Museum will be open (fees do apply)
11am to 3pm:
11am: Opening with the beat of the Japanese drums – Infinity Mugendia Inc
11.30am: The stunning dance performance by the KL Performers will amaze
12.30pm: Samba Performance and dance class – Cairns Latin Dance Club
1.30pm: READY, SET, DANCE class for the little ones – Dance 2XS
2.30pm: Eastern Indonesian dance and stunning tradition costumes – Cairns Indonesian Australian Association
11am to 3pm: Face painters and Disney jumping castle
11am to 4pm: Local hand-made market stalls
4pm to 5pm: Zumba in the City
5pm onwards: Live entertainment on Miss Nemo the Kombi
Plus more acts and surprises
Cairns Regional Council advises of the upcoming, temporary road closure to allow for the Sunday on Shields program.
Shields Street, between Lake and Abbott streets, will be closed to traffic from 10am to 5pm on Sunday 22 September.
Residents and traders are asked to observe and obey traffic controllers and signs advising the changes to normal traffic conditions, and follow detours as sign posted.
Council appreciates the cooperation of road users and apologises for any inconvenience caused.
For information on each Sunday’s theme visit https://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/shields